As moms, we do so much every day. Most of us are juggling running a household and holding down a career, while taking care of those we love. We all know that mom who seems to always stay upbeat with a smile on her face. So what’s her secret?
It may seem like an impossible task to keep yourself happy and healthy everyday. But believe it or not, it’s possible to gain new habits and create a lifestyle you love.
Need some inspiration? Take a peek at these 19 habits of happy moms.
19 Habits of Happy Moms
- Focus on the fun – Finding the fun in everyday tasks and activities can help keep you happy. No matter if you’re grocery shopping, doing laundry, or washing dishes, it doesn’t have to be boring. Crank some tunes, take a little dance break, or involve your kids and make your chores a game.
- Get out of the house – The last couple of years have kept us all at home. Getting out of the house doesn’t mean you have to go far. Even your backyard or a stroll around the neighborhood will do. Sunlight, fresh air, and the chance to enjoy nature can do wonders when it comes to happiness.
- Spend some time with yourself – We know that finding some time to ourselves can seem like an impossible task. No matter how hard it may be, it is an essential part of finding your piece of happiness. Carving out as many minutes as you can each day to do something you enjoy, like taking a walk, reading a book, or enjoying a bubble bath, will help keep a smile on your face.
- Bend the rules – As moms, we spend a lot of time making the rules. But what about breaking them? Not just for yourself, but for your kids as well. Share an indulgent moment with a midday ice cream sundae or stay up a little later to enjoy another episode of your favorite show together.
- Grab some cuddles – Release some endorphins and strengthen your bond by sharing some cuddles with your kids or significant other. Extra hugs and a few extra kisses are guaranteed to make you happier. Grab them while you can!
- Hit the pillow – Nothing douses happiness faster than being sleep deprived. It can be especially hard if you have an infant or your kiddos regularly struggle with sleep. Try and find sleep whenever you can – focusing on seven to eight hours every night.
- Be in the moment – Disconnecting from distractions and focusing on the moment is proven to help you stay happy. Our kids grow up way too fast. Staying in the moment will not only benefit you but also those that you love.
- Move that body – Exercise not only keeps our bodies healthy, but it helps our mood as well. Regular exercise allows you to release what’s bringing you down and leave you on a happy high.
- Help your neighbor – If you can find the time to give a little to those around you, you’re not only bringing them happiness, but you’re bringing some to yourself as well. Donate your time at a homeless shelter, bake some cookies for your next door neighbor, or bring a hot meal to a friend who just had a baby.
- Spend time with your friends – Our female friends help us to connect in a way that we can’t with anyone else. Finding the time to spend with one another to talk about your lives or just kicking back with a glass of wine and your favorite chick flick can do wonders for your happiness.
- Schedule one-on-one time – Whether you have one child or five, finding some special time alone with each one of them can mean a lot. Create time every month, just for the two of you, to do things that you both enjoy.
- Think about your motivation – Think about how good it feels to be truly happy. Thinking about the end result can help you focus on what gets you there and who you’re doing it for. For moms, it’s not just for ourselves, but also for our kids and our significant others.
- Get away – Vacation is a word that automatically invokes happiness. Keep in mind, it doesn’t have to be long to bring some much-needed relaxation. Eliminate the schedules and alarms, leave your to-do list at home, and put your focus on delicious food, gorgeous sunsets, and games with your family.
- Don’t sweat the small stuff – We can’t expect perfection. Every day is going to be different. Cut yourself a little slack and try not to sweat the small stuff. If you have a bad moment or even a bad day, take a breath and keep moving forward.
- Laugh – Laughter is powerful medicine. Even a simple smile can boost your happiness. When you laugh, your brain produces serotonin, making you feel relaxed and happy.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help – It may seem easier to just do it all yourself. But don’t be afraid to ask for help from family or friends. You may be surprised how often someone else is willing and able to jump in and support you when you need it.
- Avoid the green-eyed monster – The grass is always greener, right? Not really. It’s all about changing your perspective. Comparing yourself to others is guaranteed to affect your happiness. Don’t let that green-eyed monster keep you from seeing all the amazing things in your life.
- Treat yourself to good food – Good food doesn’t just mean healthy food. While healthy food is important for your overall health and well-being, a little splurge once in a while can also be a big boost to your happiness.
- Forgive and forget – We’re not just talking about forgiving others, we’re also talking about forgiving yourself. Spending less time worrying about the things you’ve done or the things others have done to you can allow you to focus more on your own happiness.
You’ve got this mama! Let these 19 habits of happy moms inspire you to find the way to a healthier, happier lifestyle.