You don’t need an ice cream maker to make creamy, delicious ice cream at home.
No-churn ice cream is so easy to make and it’s a great activity to do with your kids this summer or any time of year.
You’ll love that you’re serving up ice cream with fresh, simple ingredients, and your kids will love using their imaginations to create an endless amount of yummy flavors!
What is ‘No Churn Ice Cream’?
No Churn Ice Cream is a quick and easy alternative to traditional ice cream machines. You only need three basic ingredients, a couple bowls, and a mixer to create delicious vanilla ice cream.
No churn means you don’t have to worry about freezing the ice cream maker bowl or waiting around for it to churn when you or your kids are having a serious ice cream craving!
To make no churn ice cream, you whip heavy cream to stiff peaks then simply fold it into sweetened condensed milk. Then you add your favorite mix-ins or flavors. Once that’s done, you spread the mixture into a pan and freeze.
10 Tips for Making No Churn Ice Cream
Before making no churn ice cream, here are 10 tips to making a perfect batch every time.
- Freeze then serve – Although it’s tempting to eat the ice cream as soon as it’s done (we don’t blame you!), cover and freeze your ice cream for 4-6 hours before serving. The flavor actually intensifies as it chills. But if you prefer more of a soft-serve consistency, then by all means enjoy it right away!
- Whip it right – How you beat your whipping cream matters. To achieve the right texture every time, you need to beat it until you get stiff peaks. You’ll know when it’s ready when you hold your beater upright and the peaks hold their shape. If they bend or fall over, keep beating.
- Serve it up right – Don’t let it sit out too long before serving, since this type of ice cream melts faster than custard-based ice creams.
- Choose the right pan – When freezing your ice cream, a metal container will help to freeze the ice cream faster than a glass container.
- Get creative – When it comes to flavor combinations, the options are endless, so get creative. Think about some of your favorite flavors then try and duplicate them, or come up with a whole new flavor!
- Follow the recipe – It’s important to follow the recipe and to resist substituting with low fat or low sugar alternatives as it can affect the end result.
- Chop it up – If you want to add mix-ins like fruit, chocolate, or nuts, make sure to chop them up before mixing them into your ice cream base.
- Be careful of extracts – A little extract goes a long way, so if you’re adding extracts such as almond, mint, or lemon, add just a little at a time.
- Take the flavor up a notch – Adding a small pinch of salt can help cut some of the sweetness, and adding a little bit of cream cheese will balance out your flavors and keep it smooth after it’s frozen.
- The perfect ice cream sandwich – No-churn ice cream makes a delicious center for an ice cream sandwich. Sandwich a scoop between two cookies and freeze until you’re ready to serve.
3 No Churn Ice Cream Essentials to Invest In
- Metal Pan with a Lid – This pan will come in handy when you’re getting ready to store your ice cream (if you have any left!). The lid is handy for keeping it fresh.
- Insulated Ice Cream Tub – If you find that you’re making no churn ice cream quite often, investing in an insulated tub is a great idea. It’s easy to store and you’ll avoid freezer burn.
- Frozen Dessert Containers – If you want to make individual ice cream servings, or you plan to take some ice cream on the go, these are the perfect choice.
12 Homemade No Churn Ice Cream Recipes to Try This Summer
Get ready for some delicious inspiration! Check out our list of 12 homemade no churn ice cream recipes.
- 3 Ingredient No Churn Ice Cream | Spend With Pennies – This recipe is just the basics. A classic vanilla ice cream that lends itself to creative toppings!
- No Churn Sugar Cookie Ice Cream | Table for Seven – Just the name alone is enough. Filled with sprinkles and cookie chunks, this ice cream will disappear fast!
- No Churn Lemon Ice Cream | Julie Blanner – Bright and zesty lemon is perfect for summer. Full of citrus flavor, it’s the perfect combo of tart and sweet.
- No Churn Cherry Ice Cream | Caroline’s Cooking – Cherries are synonymous with summer. Creamy and fruity, this recipe packs plenty of bright cherry flavor.
- No Churn Pumpkin Ice Cream | The Vanilla Bean Blog – Pumpkin isn’t just for Fall. Warm spices combined with pumpkin puree adds up to a tasty, creamy treat.
- Raspberry and Chocolate No Churn Ice Cream | The Vanilla Bean Blog – Sweet raspberries paired with rich chocolate makes a delicious dessert.
- No Churn Chocolate Ice Cream | Baking a Moment – It tastes just like brownie batter and the intense chocolate flavor will cure any craving.
- No Churn Peanut Butter Ice Cream | Handle the Heat – Peanut butter is the star of this rich and creamy no churn ice cream.
- No Churn Oreo Ice Cream | Salt and Baker – Oreo ice cream is always a kid favorite. Large chunks of Oreos and mini chocolate chips give it crunch and texture.
- No Churn Chocolate Chip Ice Cream | Julie Blanner – Only four ingredients makes for an easy recipe. Choose your favorite type of chocolate to make it your own.
- No Churn Pineapple Ice Cream | Love Bakes Good Cakes – This recipe makes a fruity, tropical ice cream that is perfect for summer!
- Strawberry No Churn Ice Cream | Recipe Tin Eats – Take advantage of ripe summer strawberries and make a batch of this stellar strawberry ice cream.
No churn ice cream is a simple frozen dessert that is sure to be a crowd pleaser! Try one of these 12 easy-to-make no churn ice cream recipes for yourself.