“Pepperoni may be a popular pizza toppingin the United States, but eel is a favorite in Japan.
Around the world, pizza toppings vary greatly, reflecting regional tastes, local foods, and cultural preferences. Take a look at some of the toppings that stack pizzas around the world.
1. India — pickled ginger, minced mutton, and paneer (a form of cottage cheese)
2. Russia — mockba (a combination of sardines, tuna, mackerel, salmon, and onions), red herring
3. Brazil — green peas
4. Japan — eel, squid, and Mayo Jaga (mayonnaise, potato, bacon)
5. France — flambée (bacon, onion, fresh cream)
6. Pakistan — curry
7. Australia — shrimp, pineapple, barbecue sauce
8. Costa Rica — coconut
9. Netherlands — "Double Dutch" — double meat, double cheese, double onion
10. United States — pepperoni, mushrooms, sausage, green pepper, onion, and extra cheese
Helen Davies, Marjorie Dorfman, Mary Fons, Deborah Hawkins, Martin Hintz, Linnea Lundgren, David Priess, Julia Clark Robinson, Paul Seaburn, Heidi Stevens, and Steve Theunissen